SPRAVATO® (esketamine) is an FDA approved treatment for adults with treatment-resistant depression (TRD), and depressive symptoms in adults with major depressive disorder (MDD) with suicidal thoughts or actions.
Patients prescribed SPRAVATO® must also be taking an oral antidepressant.
Requirements for Insurance To Cover SPRAVATO®
For your insurance to cover SPRAVATO®, we must use it according to how the FDA approved it:
- Each SPRAVATO® treatment has to be administered here at Midwest Alternative Treatment Clinic.
- You have to be monitored by us for at least 2 hours. During that time we’ll monitor and record your blood pressure.
- We must send a detailed 2 page report to Janssen, the manufacturer of SPRAVATO®, reporting any abnormal responses you have.
- You must follow this treatment schedule:
- Induction phase: weeks 1 – 4. 2 treatments each week for 2 hours each treatment.
- Maintenance phase: weeks 5 – 8. 1 treatment each week for 2 hours.
- As needed phase: weeks 9 and after. 1 treatment every other week for 2 hours each.
While these requirements may sound like a lot, they’re designed by Janssen for your safety and approved by the FDA. We are an approved SPRAVATO® Treatment Center and are required to follow these requirements.
If you understand these requirements and would like to use SPRAVATO®, please contact us to schedule an appointment.
We work hard to make our ketamine treatments affordable, including SPRAVATO®. Your insurance may cover SPRAVATO®. In addition, Janssen offers options to help you lower your out of pocket costs to pay for SPRAVATO® treatments. The program is called Janssen CarePath. You can download an overview of their savings program or go straight to their website.